The World According to YodaBeesh

Saturday, June 03, 2006

How I Got Mad at PNHoffman (but kissed and made up...)

So, PNHoffman is a huge developer in downtown DC. I always get emails from them with updates on their new condo properties... and I love browsing them and looking at the floorplans.


It never fails that when I get one of their emails and click on an embedded link that I am taken to some PNH webpage that prompts me for a password (which I never had despite numerous website visits.) In order to view the properties, I have to go through this very annoying process of filling out some wonky survey. And this occurs EVERY TIME I have visited the site.

In my heat-induced delerium from earlier this week, I got another email... and was subsequently forwarded to ANOTHER SURVEY. That was the straw that broke the camel's back. See the following email exchange:




___________________________

-----Original Message-----From: Ed Calimag [mailto:edcalimag@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 01, 2006 5:04 PMTo: Jonathan RodgersSubject: Reply from campaign Alta 060106 2006

I receive emails from you all the time and I like your properties, BUT when I click on any of the below properties, it always asks me for a password (which I've never been provided nor have I set up). I wind up having to fill in a survey EVERY TIME just to look at the properties.

Is the password thing for real? Or a gimmick to coerce people into filling in your survey?

I have proof that I've filled out your survey at least twice already (I've done so under two different email addresses). You have no need to continue to solicit me for information that I have repetitively provided. If you are running reports off of this data, then your analysis will be flawed as 1) you have duplicate entries of the same person, and 2) by the 5th or 6th time I enter this information, I don't even bother entering it in correctly.

How do I obtain a password? Please advise or I will file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission through their website
https://rn.ftc.gov/pls/dod/wsolcq$.startup?Z_ORG_CODE=PU01). I have enough grounds to do so and enough information provided below in your emails to give to the FTC.

Thanks!
- Ed Calimag

___________________________

And now his response...

___________________________

Ed-

First, let me apologize for the inconvenience and trouble that you have been facing with out website – it is not our intention to make it difficult for our customers to view floor plans and pricing.

The password is simply for us to track those purchasers interested in our properties, and we certainly do not want potential purchasers to register or
provide us their information repeatedly.

Upon initial registration, our site should store a cookie on your computer that allows for viewing of floorplans and pricing without having to register again or enter a password. It is possible that this action is prevented by certain security settings on the computer or browser one is using.
For future reference, the password is ‘pnh’.

Please let me know if you have any continued trouble or would like to discuss this matter further.

Again, I apologize on behalf on PN Hoffman.

Jonathan Rodgers,
Sales Associate



___________________________


Having regained my senses, I sent him the following reply this morning:


___________________________

Hi Jonathan:

Thanks for the prompt response. Sorry if I was snippy earlier. I think the heat got to me, I became cranky, and the prospect of doing a PNH survey triggered the vigilante consumer in me.

I look forward to drooling over your properties and would love to tour the Warehouse units sometime.

Regards,
Ed Calimag

___________________________


So, what are the lessons learned from this?



  • Don't write emails when your AC isn't working,
  • Threatening to skew someone's reporting data is always a viable threat,
  • People seem to respond faster when you include random threats of reporting them to the Federal Trade Commission (Department of Homeland Security works really well , too),
  • Always be polite and say thank you, and
  • I'm developing into a cranky old man.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home