The World According to YodaBeesh

Monday, June 19, 2006

Epilogue I: The Office

This "re-engineering" of my home office was a bizzare, yet purifying way for me to address those issues which we never consider in everyday life. So at least for now, my dear audience, I provide you with a list of things to think about. I'll re-address more of these in another posting, but in the meanwhile, I need to catch up on other stuff that I've put off (er...like work and studying) during (what I like to call) my office-obsessive-mania. At least this posting will provide for me a quick fix to tide me over until I have more time to really sit down and process what this whole ordeal has meant to me.

And so we begin with the random stream of consciousness questions:

  • How many writing utensils does one person really need?
  • What is the decision-making process when it comes to keeping/donating/trashing books?Do I really need my Physical Chemistry textbook from 1995... and who the f**k would WANT it?
  • How many RCA, USB, coaxial cables do I really need?
  • Why do I have so many power adapters and have absolutely no clue what they plug into...?
  • Why do I have 3 pairs of headphones/earbuds?
  • What does one do with this massive accumulation of copper, silicon chips, lead, and plastics?
  • Do people really still use personal cassette and personal CD players?
  • What is the protocol for weeding out "keepsakes?" -- personal cards, birthday cards, etc, and how does the the function of "the giver" factor into the decision making of keep/trash?
  • What is the purpose of a shoebox full of pictures? Wouldn't it be easier to just scan every picture into a JPG and keep electronically?

Some random bizzare findings during my "purge session" this week that makes one go, "oh sh*t... I FORGOT about that!" :
  • 3 knives (!) --- a scuba knife, a traditional filipino butterfly knife, and a swiss army knife
  • 2 zippo lighters --- one of my roomies from college gave to me for undergrad graduation -- 10 years ago. Its engraved with a "no smoking" symbol; the other was a gift from my cousin for being in her wedding party (with my initial engraved)I found my old fraternity (Alpha Phi Omega) pledge class PADDLE and pledge book
  • One whole entire tupperware bin of COMIC BOOKS kept in near-mint condition, still in their mylar wrapping
  • 1 photo album from my summer abroad in France (1990)... I look anorexic
  • my soccer ball from college and a basketball (my nephew really had fun with those as I toiled away)
  • a copper engraving of a tall-ship that my mom made for me that I thought was lost to the ages
  • and many many many more random things.
Its been quite an adventure and now I have to re-enter reality.

God, I love MONDAYS.

TTFN
YB

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home