The World According to YodaBeesh

Thursday, March 24, 2005

Exotic vacation destinations: KYRGYZSTAN

Many of you out there know that DH and I love going to off-the-wall places and travelling. Well here's one spot that we will most likely NOT be going to anytime soon: Kyrgyzstan.

Just when I thought I had all the "'stans" down, I forget about this little shithole nestled in Central Asia. Apparently there's some revolution going on as we speak and their president has fled the country. What a fucking surprise, right?

It would really suck to be a tourist stuck in Bishkek (that's the capitol). Here's a map for point of reference:



Now, I'll let you in on a guilty pleasure of mine. I like to check on Travelocity to see how I'd get to these buttf**k places (just for pure shits and giggles). Apparently you can get flights out of Dulles on Aeroflot Russian Airlines to Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan (note: the airport code is FRU) anywhere between $800 - $1000! What a bargain! Plus I think you can still smoke on Aeroflot. Then I like to do a search for their Department of Tourism, etc. I was only able to find tourist tips from LonelyPlanet.com and here's what they have to say:

Though most visits to the country are hassle-free, foreigners are sometimes targeted in conflict between government forces and militants in areas south and west of Osh, and in the Ferghana Valley. There are landmines in the Batken Oblast region and along the border with Uzbekistan. (Lonely Planet)

It also mentions somewhere that they have really cool skiing there (Its known as "The Alps of Central Asia"). I guess the landmines would make it a little more challenging.

That's your geography lesson for the day!

2 Comments:

  • Beesh, you know considering some of the shithole places that I travel for work, and knowing my luck, I might get sent over there for my next project, you never know. LOL, Actually, I dunno after reading about Kyrgyzstan, Lubbock, TX and Laurel, Mississipi are starting to sound much nicer in comparison! haha

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, March 24, 2005 12:25:00 PM  

  • Isn't Borat from Da Ali G's show from there? I like Borat!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, March 24, 2005 6:34:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home