The World According to YodaBeesh

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

YodaBeesh Musings on Luggage

This morning I've been having a very interesting discussion with a Swiss friend re. a very important topic: luggage.

As many of you know, I buy things.

Anything.

I go through these random phases where I will obsess over something (cellphones, PDA, computers, laptops, TVs) for many months. Finally the "act" reaches a climax once I complete the perfect purchase.

So this summer, its all about luggage.

MaddyBeesh and I returned from Gran Canaria in April, and I knew, even before vacation, that we absolutely needed a new luggage set. I had one piece, MB had another piece... it was a mish-mash of non-matching luggage and collapsible duffel bags. I felt very unsettled after that experience.

What better way to resolve the situation than by getting NEW LUGGAGE.

I've been drooling over a set of Victorinox luggage that I'd like to get over the summer. You know... a piece here, a piece there.

My dear friend, SwissMiss, is a big proponent of a brand called Rimowa, which I had never heard of til this morning. He trash-talked Victorinox, but I concede that he may have some valid insight into this since he is from the Land of Chocolates and Watches. At first I was kind of turned-off by Rimowa because it had such an "industrial" look to it, but I could understand his attraction to it as he's a "road warrior." (I'm more of a recreational international jet-setter-type.) Plus, there's another manufacturer, Zero Halliburton that makes similarly styled cases... and needless to say, I hate Halliburton for obvious reasons.

I have another friend, JTK, who is a huge fan of TUMI, but I have mixed feelings abt that.

Anyways, since the news is pretty f**king lame these days, I thought that this would make a more enlightening subject matter for discussion.

I'd like to hear your insights and thoughts on luggage. I guess I'm also looking for validation that I'm not a complete brand-whore (though I do believe that Victorinox makes good sh*t.) Plus, I'm open-minded to other brands.

7 Comments:

  • This subject is not one to be taken lightly. You see luggage is what determines the "alpha" traveler from the neophyte pin-head "fuck you if you think you're putting that in first class" traveler. You know the ones I refer to. I am referring to those evil creature who think the Coleman Cooler with duct tape seconds a appropriate luggage - maybe if you're riding greyhound not when going to a foreign country. I've seen all types. I've seen the

    - 10 year old cardboard boxes that is suitable dessert for any baggage system
    - The aforementioned Coleman Coolers
    - 1982 big logo-ed Addidas bag that you took to 8th grade gym class

    I am pretty sure I have even seen stuff wrapped in a blanket and duct tapped together to form an luggage bundle.

    No dear travelers - this shouldn't be taken lightly. For my money I prefer Tumi - nothing says "sit the fuck down you redneck dumbass" like a whole set of Tumi luggage

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tuesday, May 23, 2006 1:18:00 PM  

  • God bless you, gentle-reader!

    It never fails that you'll see one of those coolers wrapped in duct tape with "hazardous materials" stickers all over it just circling on the baggage carousel. I love it when they put their contact information on the gray duct tape using a sharpie.

    I do have to admit that MB and I put those hideous glow-in-the-dark straps around our bags to make it easily identifiable on the carousel (hangs head in shame)

    By Blogger YodaBeesh, at Tuesday, May 23, 2006 1:28:00 PM  

  • Victorinox makes some good quality merchandise. and, equally important, it's understated and sophisticated enough that the holder of such luggage has sufficient standing to stare at a loud, disorganized fuck for not emptying his/her pockets PRIOR to going thru the metal detector. nice luggage, be it a Tumi set or otherwise, signals to other travelers that you know what you're doing and that you prefer to socialize with like folk, not those who use duct tape and not those on the other extreme, such as those with obnoxious Luois Vitton shit. Make no mistake; it is hardly snobbery to demand a level of civility and decorum plainly absent at, say, a Greyhound station in Detroit.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tuesday, May 23, 2006 1:44:00 PM  

  • Well, dear Yoda, I think putting a picture of such an ugly piece of luggage into your blog is an offense to your regular readers.

    Not even the Swiss cross on this trolley is going to make it nicer. The colors are awful and though this single stick telescope handle may look sexy for some people, the downward bended shape will immediately kill the associated dreams...

    The material is another topic: Nylon fabric luggage is for nerds! Unfortunately I have to say that this also applies for the supposed to be stylish Tumi suitcases. Tumi is worst design in combination with good quality and a high price. Tumi is a NoNo and buying it will result automatically in having bad sex for the rest of your life.

    So, please, YodaBeesh, believe in your Swiss frequent flyer and go for the Rimowa suitcases. More than 100 years of experience and 5 years of guarantee will make up for the outrageous price. It's like having a Ferrari, everyone around wants to drive it and in that sense you will never carry your luggage anymore. The right choice will change your life...

    Your SwissMiss

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tuesday, May 23, 2006 2:15:00 PM  

  • Oh, SwissMiss... I knew I could count on a reply from you. I think you know where you can stick that retractable handle :-P

    To Anonymous #2 above, I agree with you. I enjoy the understatedness of the VX. It has a quiet elegance about it, yet is tough and durable (like me.)

    I shy away from Tumi bc in my eyes, its too trendy. I strive for uniqueness, but appreciate quality as well.

    Not all nylon is created the same. I have a high level of respect for any material that would stop a bullet or shrapnel and protect my brand new jeans or tidy-whities.

    So much to consider. Your opinions are all valued.

    By Blogger YodaBeesh, at Tuesday, May 23, 2006 2:24:00 PM  

  • Luggage? Simply being a minority dyke in first class provides me with the necessary "Fuck you!" attitude.
    I can just see the older, white, business men look at me and wonder "HOW DID THAT HAPPEN?" I am frightened if I turned into a luggage snob, I may be giving business men unecessary heart attacks. So I stick to the no name stuff!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wednesday, May 24, 2006 1:49:00 PM  

  • LesboBeesh, you are definitely worth "brand-name". Don't go buying your luggage off of some illegal street vendor in North Philly, mm-kayyyy? You really deserve good luggage.

    You're the hardest working puerto rican lesbian chemist that I know!

    By Blogger YodaBeesh, at Wednesday, May 24, 2006 4:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home