The World According to YodaBeesh

Tuesday, March 22, 2005

A Letter from Terry Schaivo

Dear Mommy and Daddy

You're both really pissing me off. Serrusly. Please let me die. Why have you been keeping me like a warm Barbie doll for the past 15 years? I know that Michael has another lover and kids, but we have always had our best interests at heart (we ARE married, you know). And since when did you guys become all political?! If I had real food in my stomach, I would throw up. Here, I'll dribble instead...

Reasons why I want to die:
1. I'm a VEGETABLE. You think that I have movement in my head?! Its called GRAVITY, bitches. The muscles in my neck have atrophied and can't hold up my pretty face.
2. What makes you think that I want to live like this? Geezus... I have a fucking feeding tube in my stomach. Even if you tried to feed me jello, I'd wind up choking on it. My muscles in my urethra and colon have atrophied so now I'm basically a big fleshy SIEVE.
3. What part of Persistant Vegetative State do you NOT fucking understand? Goddamn! My brain is MUSH. I will not be able to read Percy Byshe Shelly anymore. Do you honestly think this I'm happy living like this?! Of course you do.
4. I have NO desire to be the poster child for the GOP, the religious right, or the Right-to-Life people that are always outside with their candles and rosaries and sh*t. Leave me OUT of this. For the love of God, I was a registered DEMOCRAT! Ain't that enough?
5. If I can't FEED myself, don't you see something wrong here with my activities of daily living? HELLLOOOOOO!
6. STOP putting make-up on me! Especially that no smear crap that takes the hospice nurse FOREVER to get off my face. I'm in a HOSPICE, people. This is NOT the Estee Lauder counter at Macy's. Besides, I hate that shade of red lip gloss. Oh, and my hair... it sucks. I am NOT Joan Jett.

Look, get yourselves into therapy and get through your Grief Cycle. You've been stuck on the "denial stage" for the past 15 years. It'll be easier for you to finish the grieving process once I'm with Jesus (and six feet under). You can continue your 15 minutes of fame at the next GOP convention .

I love you both dearly, and I know that you are looking out for what you perceive to be my best interests, but really, you gotta let go. I am so sick of being a case study for medical ethicists.

Love,
Terry

2 Comments:

  • I am appalled by what you have listed on this "site". I had a beautiful little sister that was in a vegetative state. She could laugh, she smile, she would let you know what she liked and did not like. She was born this way. She did not ask for it. My sister survived off a feeding tube for ten years. Ultimately she died from complications of pneumonia. People like you think she had no reason to live. She was a blessing and touched many lives. In fact she is THE reason doctors know how to successfully treat bicycle seizures. You are probably not familiar with bicycle seizures - they kill. There is no way around it. My parents were told that if my sister ever had one, that it would kill her - no way around it - just let her go. When my sister had one at age 10, my parents - frantic, realized she was getting no oxygen. My father (a sufferer of black lung) gave my sister pure oxygen within the first 30 seconds of the seizure - she came out of it immediately. This simple discovery is used world wide to save others (severely and not severely ill). So tell me, was her life meaningless?

    I teach severely disabled children, some cannot communicate and need assistance eating. They can't tell me they want to live - should they be denied food?

    Keep in mind that this woman was denied all means of rehabilitative service. If she had received what every human being deserves, a chance, Terri could have been a very different woman today.

    The way you talk about this woman is sick. I feel pity for you. You speak on issues with which you have absolutely no experience.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, March 24, 2005 5:44:00 PM  

  • Girl, I'm really sorry for the loss of your sister. However, TS is brain dead, she DOES NOT know what is and isn't going on around her. Before her incident, she was full of life. Now is void of life. That is just a fact. I would not want to be kept alive in that state, and have a living will to cover my ass in that event. TS EXPRESSED HER DESIRE NOT TO BE KEPT ALIVE THROUGH ARTIFICIAL MEANS!!!! That's the real issue here, her LEGAL RIGHT and DESIRE is not being carried out. I pity you, not only for the lose of your sister, but your ingorance into the real issues.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, March 24, 2005 8:25:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home