The World According to YodaBeesh

Monday, August 28, 2006

Day 27 contd - So now that I'm here...

The afternoon of my arrival, Uli informed me that wind conditions sucked for kite-surfing. It looked like I was sh*t out of luck. "Hmm. That really sucks."I didn't really have a Plan B, but hey... I'd wing it.

The beach looked glorious... truly "white sand" and crystal blue water. That would have to do.

My first evening in Boracay was a quiet one. I had been offered by some German guys to go hang out at the bars, but somehow, I just wasn't in the mood to pick up chicks ;-) I needed a night to myself to begin the decompression.

I couldn't sleep. God, it was awful. I'd lay in bed and my mind would race to random disparate things and topics. So unusual for me, especially since I had popped an ambien to knock me out. I am typically a heavy sleeper. I could probably sleep through an earthquake. Not tonight.It was so inexplicable. I had no reason to worry or fret. I'd left mom in good hands; but I think that I had been so conditioned to worry, to be on the go, to have things to do, to be stressed out, and to be emotional, yet analytical... my body and mind were discombobulated.Why now when I started this phase of my trip? Ugh.

After a restless night in bed, I got up around 6:30am. F**k it. The help were up and about. I'll start my day.There is an outdoor cafe/pool bar that serves breakfast at Alice in Wonderland. I "relaxed" to coffee and an "American Breakfast" (egg, bacon, toast) and read my book in solitude.

Other guests would trickle in for their morning coffee/tea/breakfast. I had a clear view of the swimming pool and had spotted a very handsome, well-built and conditioned "anglo" going for a morning swim. We acknowledged each other with a nod and a smile, and I continued to read my book.Later, the anglo emerged from his cottage adjacent to the breakfast area. More smiles and acknowledgements. He sat down a couple tables from me and we did our introductions.

Charlie was on holiday from his British regiment based in Brunei. He chose to do R&R in Boracay. We struck up a great conversation and chatted for a bit. Coincidentally, he had planned to go kite-surfing as well in Boracay. As he was in the same dilemma, his Plan B was scuba diving. He had been in Boracay since last week and had come across a dive shop with whom he had done a number of dives on this trip.

"Diving, huh....?" The cogwheels were turning in my head. I found my Plan B.

Charlie invited me to join him for a jaunt to the dive shop, so I thought, "what the hell... why not." And now here I am in Boracay getting my Advanced Diver certification. I did two dives yesterday with Charlie and the small dive group; one dive was a night dive with flash lights. Very cool, but I didn't quite know what the hell I was looking for. I preferred to play "Finding Nemo" and chase fish, as per my modus operandi in diving. More fun to chase fish, and ooh and ahh at some very awesome sights.

Over the day of diving, I befriended Charlie the Brit; Jerry, a Mexican living in London; Thea, a Filipino-American much like myself starting her PhD at UCSD; and the dive staff: Christian, an Austrian; and Georgina, a very cosmo and striking filipina. I also befriended a very nice and beautiful Italian couple on the beach. We played aqua-fetch with a random golden retriever that hung out on the beach. Such an interesting polyglot of people here... its just so amazingly interesting how everyone has their own story about how they picked Boracay. There's a large expat population here... Germans and Austrians. Just so cool and amazing and friendly.

Last night, the dive group went out to dinner at a mexican restaurant... margaritas and other drinks abounded. It was a lot of fun.

Only into my third day on the Boracay leg of the trip, and its been enjoyably serendipitous.

I just wish that I could relax and sleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home