The World According to YodaBeesh

Saturday, May 07, 2005

And so it begins...



I read this article in the NYT this morning and thought to myself, "...and so it begins."

Vatican Is Said to Force Jesuit Off Magazine (NYT 05072005)

An American Jesuit who is a frequent television commentator on Roman Catholic issues resigned yesterday under orders from the Vatican as editor of the Catholic magazine America because he had published articles critical of church positions, several Catholic officials in the United States said.


I've always had an extremely deep respect for the Jesuits. They are reknown for being rather liberal in comparison to other Orders within the Catholic Church. Looks like the Church in Rome is now putting the smack down on that. Its a real shame.

I've said this repeatedly to friends who may not understand, unless they were raised in the Catholic Church: The Church is not a democracy. Ironically the first thing I would equate it to (and this is honestly from an analytical objective comparison) is a Fascist regime. There are 14 characteristics to Fascism (click to read). As you read them, think of any institutions that may embody those characteristics. I'll start you off with a few examples: Boy Scouts of America and the US military. Again, I have to say as a disclaimer that this is an observation, not a judgement.

How ironic as well that I had a class at my Catholic undegraduate institution devoted to studying the Rise of Fascism. My professor, a nutcase, was/is absolutely brilliant.

YB

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home